Friday, April 18, 2014

Band Review: Hydra Melody


Hydra Melody is an alternative rock band out of San Antonio, Texas. I've been listening to them via their web site and Soundcloud. Soundcloud has more tracks available, but I prefer the condensed version that you get on hydramelody.com.

While often soft and plaintive, with strummy guitars, I like them best when they are rocking harder. For that reason I need to call out "Rubix", which I have only found on Soundcloud. The intro starts with a no-nonsense drumbeat, then adds some less down to earth synthesizer, and as guitars and vocals comes in everything balances right, and you get an interesting song that you can listen to many times, knowing it is still saying more.

I can't really compare them to anyone else, as they pull in different threads. The piano on "Pros And Cons of Self-Liberation" sounds a little honky-tonk, but the rest of the song really isn't. They may be more intellectual than most bands.

The live videos seem to be funkier. I'm not sure whether that is primarily song selection, or just a different facet that engineering didn't pull out when they were recording, however, they do have some live dates coming up, and some of those dates are with TEAM, which should be a good line-up.





No comments: