Friday, July 11, 2014

Band Review: Tigers Jaw


On my first time through the Tigers Jaw music, an interesting thing happened. A song started that sounded like Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy", and sure enough, "Gypsy" was the track title.

My first thought was why would you cover that song, but then I remembered how Lindsey Buckingham had come up in the greatest guitar songs comments, and as we got to the guitar near the end of the song, yeah, then it made sense why you would cover it. It was familiar, but I hadn't really noticed it listening to the Fleetwood Mac version because it is overshadowed by everything else. When I brought up the Fleetwood Mac version later, I heard it better. Pretty cool.

One of the things that I find encouraging about doing band reviews is that even if the initial posting does not get a lot of hits, it will get other hits later. Last week I saw page hits for Touché Amoré and Dads. This made sense, because they were touring together, but then it made me feel deficient that I did not have a review for the other band on the lineup, Tigers Jaw. So here we are.

Tigers Jaw is a grunge/indie pop duo from Scranton, Pennsylvania. They have kind of a muddy sound. It's not as heavy as sludge, with its pop leanings. I believe they are achieving this via off-tuning rather than using a lot of distortion, which gives it a milder feel.

At least on Spotify they have a pretty broad discography, going back to 2006. I focused on the current release, Charmer. "Hum" even has a video, and in it the instruments don't quite stay in place for the players, giving an interesting feeling of disconnection.

They only show one guitar and one keyboard, but the sound is fairly full and deep. "Hum" is a good starting point. It highlights the strong guitar, but gives a feel for their vocals and aesthetic, which does feel very indie but is also sometimes kind of folk-flavored.

I do also want to mention the slightly older track off of the Remastered version of Belongs To The Dead. "Heat" is short, but has some funk in its layers that I think is worth appreciating. And of course, I am grateful for the lessons in the "Gypsy" cover.

Current tour dates go through July 26th, but one tweet led me to believe that there will be another tour shortly after that.





No comments: