Thursday, November 06, 2014

Band Review: Rett Smith


I have only been able to find three songs by Rett Smith at this time. His web site says that he is working on an album for release this year. I was looking for shorter catalogs this week, so it works out.

He classifies himself as Blues/Rock and Roll. I might classify the other element as more "Funk" or "Soul", but I think you will hear that there is something extra in the accompaniment, and that the guitar accentuates and embellishes in a positive way. There are drums and occasionally piano, but the focus is on the guitar and voice, with the vocals being fairly simple and letting the guitar round everything out. There's definite talent, and some interesting sounds developing here.

I find the videos to be a little unfocused, without a clear sense of direction, but that's something that can be addressed. It is the music that matters most, and this music can go somewhere.





No comments: