Thursday, May 07, 2015

Band Review: Are You Alice


Are You Alice is a metalcore band from Windsor, Ontario.

I did not come to them through my usual mode of one of them following me on Twitter. Instead, a band that had followed me, Buried By Tomorrow, had broken up by the time of the review. I commenter on the review said that Are You Alice was one of the member's new projects. I am not sure that is true, because the names don't seem to match, but I have been listening to them anyway.

I preferred Buried By Tomorrow because I felt like there was more variety in the music. Are You Alice is very much growl shouting followed by more growl shouting. They do it fairly well, with a skilled and aggressive guitar accompaniment, but I find it less emotionally evocative.

I did appreciate them including the lyrics on the Bandcamp page, because while I would think that there is no way of deciphering the growls, when you are looking at the lyrics the individual words can be heard quite clearly. The lyrics are meaningful, but focus more on personal angst than the political outrage that I associate with this tempo.

If you like metalcore you will probably like Are You Alice, and you will be pleased to know that they are spending some time in the studio.




No comments: