Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Still watching Grimm


Seeing the trailer burn was painful, but one thing that occurred to me is maybe that could be a sign that they are going to break away from escalating the aforementioned Wesen weirdness.

Honestly, the trailer wasn't much of a secret anymore anyway, but the new location, implied to be more remote, seems less realistic with everyone traveling back and forth between the trailer, spice shop, and precinct. Bringing the remnants from the trailer to the spice shop is a consolidating move and should prove practical. The flashbacks for Nick, Hank, Monroe, and Wu were a nice touch.

That's what keeps bringing me back: they have a good set of people there, as actors and as characters. There are also interesting things happening with them.

Wu coming in to the secret (and embracing it so heartily) has been great. The aftereffects of Renard's shooting are frightening. Adalind interacting with the rest of the cast has gone better than I would have expected. I did not like her rape of Nick, but it looks like the fact that everyone feels guilty for their part in Diana's kidnapping seems to be helping.

(What they all seem to be missing is that while the kidnapping itself did hurt her, the real problems came from letting Adalind think that the royal family had Diana, leaving her desperate to please them. But I digress.)

It's also pretty brilliant that Juliette is a hexenbiest.

That plot is starting to drag a little now. I suspect they need to wait on certain things to bring her into her next phase, but there probably could have been a smoother transition between "I want my life back" and "I don't want to change".

Regardless, this can be a really good thing. Juliette has defended herself successfully a few times now. Nick has worried about her safety, and his responsibility to protect her - hey, she can take care of herself now.

It's unfortunate that no one is listening to her about that now, but of course the reason for that is her personality keeps getting worse. That does not feel quite true to the character. I mean, I wouldn't expect an easy adjustment, but she could have been struggling, trying to adjust, and then learning that Adalind is pregnant with Nick's baby could have sent her on a bender easily enough anyway.

I mean, we don't know that hexenbiests have to have horrible personalities. Elizabeth and Henrietta seem fairly pleasant. They're a little arrogant, perhaps, but maybe they just seem that way because they know more and are more powerful than everyone else in the room.  

So yes, I still have reservations about the writing, but there are interesting ideas, and with characters I care about, and I'm not ready to give them up yet.

Shooting on this season has wrapped, so then who knows how next season will go?

I've cared for the show enough that I can give it some time.

No comments: