Friday, June 12, 2015

Band Review: Helen Austin


I suspect that hating this music makes me a mean and black-hearted person. I've got to be me.

Helen Austin has won a Juno Aware and a John Lennon songwriting contest, and her music gets used in television shows and things, so clearly other people see merit I don't. For me it cloys.

I liked her earlier music better. I didn't love it, but at some point after 2009, everything became more twee. That may work better as a niche, because then you have the children's market, but then there is too much of it. There is an album every year, and each album has lots of tracks, and while any one song might be harmless put together they aggravate me.

I get how they are supposed to work. Take the song "Underneath My Bed":


It is taking a common childhood fear, and making it funny and about friendship. That seems positive. The video is pretty well done with simple animation. Other videos incorporate toys and children and drawings. Many people would find it charming. There is probably nothing wrong with finding it charming. But the high voice, repetitiveness, and relentless preciousness somehow builds into a perfect storm of hatred for me.

If a song about how being yourself is great, so always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn, then be a unicorn, sounds like your kind of thing, links are below.




https://twitter.com/helenaustin

P.S. This is late not due to the lack of enthusiasm, but it just being one of those days.

No comments: