Friday, November 20, 2015

Band Review: Frank Waln


Frank Waln is a Hip Hop artist from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota.

Waln has a degree in Audio Arts and Acoustics, and I suspect that greater understanding of sound has been helpful to him in creating the powerful and memorable tracks. "AbOriginal", "Born on the Rez", and "2 Live & Die on the Plains" work especially well, making an impression while playing and then lingering in the memory.

I will say that on the Soundcloud page there is a lot more experimentation with distortion and screeches, and I don't like that as much. The officially released songs have been chosen and polished.

Often when I am reviewing Hip Hop I feel I need to give a caveat that Hip Hop isn't my favorite, because other people will probably like it more than I do. Then there are other groups that make me think maybe I do like Hip Hop.

Frank Waln is one of the latter, and the youngest I have come across in that group.

These are worth checking out. Music can be purchased on Bandcamp, iTunes, and Amazon.






No comments: