Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Talismans


I am writing this with a bat around my neck.

We are pretty fond of the Fossil Cartel, and like looking there.


My favorite things to look at are the carved pendants. I once expressed interest in an amethyst manatee, and Maria gave me hers, but the bat came later.

It came because I saw that turquoise is supposed to fight writer's block, and they had bats. Bats are associated with good fortune and happiness in China. It seemed like a good necklace for a writer who needed some luck.

I'm pretty sure Maria bought me that too, but it took a while to use it for writing.

When I finish a project, I need some downtime. After finishing Morgan, I wanted to get started on Family Reunion right away, but I needed a break, and fell once more into my Spider Solitaire addiction.

I do understand addiction a lot better than I did, but I was still having a hard time fighting it. There are a lot of reasons not to write - it is super easy to avoid, no matter how much you love it or have to say. That's when I started thinking about the necklace.

I have written plenty without the necklace as well, but I started thinking of it as a way to shift my mind. I am on the computer for lots of things, but when I am there for writing, I want to be there for that, and not get distracted. I thought the necklace could function symbolically. Symbols are important to writers. Putting it on would say "I am sitting down to write now."

And then I couldn't find the bat at first; the beginning chapters were written with the manatee.

If I am using it specifically for being in writer's mode, taking it off might make sense when I leave, but I actually keep it on a lot, especially if I am not done for the day.

I also enjoy that when I lean over our kitten to pet her and it dangles in front of her, she will try to eat it. (She can fit the entire manatee into her mouth easily, but the bat is a little harder.) And I am a little sad that she seems to be growing out of it, even though that again does not have a writing purpose.

It is not a perfect system, but I have avoided the game playing and I have gotten a lot of writing and editing done.

Family Reunion is ready and I am starting the upload tonight.

No comments: