Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Vision Boards


I have not yet created my vision board. I do now have an idea of what it will look like.

I was getting ready for a journal session Sunday, and I realized that the next thing to do was create my vision board. Doing so has always felt baffling for me, but if that was the thing to do, it was the thing to do.

I read over the list of things that I wanted a few times before church.


At church I am the ward librarian. Right before and after Sunday School is my busiest time. It gets busy enough that I do not go to Sunday School, but there are often lulls in between. I had gone over the list because I wanted to take advantage of such a lull to try and visualize. When I had a free moment I started sketching.

Suddenly pictures came to me. They weren't pictures that I was capable of replicating with my pencil, but whereas previously the visual had been evading me, it stopped.

There were a few things I learned in the process. I had been thinking I needed a way to represent every single thing, and that does not seem to be the case. It may be that some things are already present enough in my life, or they will naturally follow with other things. Also, some pictures will do double duty.

For example, one image that came to mind, and you can find lots of different illustrations of it, is a woman seated in the lotus position with all of the chakras represented. As I've written before, the chakras have come to represent balance to me, and with that they also represent health.

Health blurred with my desire to be financially secure and be able to give in the image of a cornucopia. Shown spilling over with seasonal fruits and vegetables, it does reference health, but it also signifies abundance, and that will be mean that I am both safe and able to give.

I may very well draw little stacks of money, and that's fine if I do. I had thought about drawing a gift-wrapped box to show the giving, but I know what I want to do with it already. Maybe I don't need that reminder. At that point it became more about creating a feeling than a list, and the feeling could be accomplished with greater simplicity.

There are other things that I could use for embellishments but don't need. For example, I have thought about things that signify creativity - like pens and paintbrushes - or music - like notes - but I have those things in my life. They are important, but they are also already here. However, I do want to depict two bookshelves, one representing what I want to write, and one representing the things I want to learn.

The other image that came strongly to mind is of a woman being embraced by a man behind her. It might even have a heart around it.

My first thought was that I'm not even sure that should be a priority. I have accepted that it is unlikely, and that I can live with that. Those are really the same issues that I had with putting down feeling cherished on the original list, but I did still put it down.

However, thinking about the positions, the woman has someone she can lean on, and arms encircling her, so there is support and warmth, but also she is not blocked or hindered at all, and there are non-romantic elements to that, even if the first thought is romantic. And also, the heart wants what it wants.

This may not be how everyone does it, but this is how it's going for me.

No comments: