Thursday, June 30, 2016

Band Review: Harbors


Harbors appears to be one musician, David Shayne (joined by friends at least sometimes), operating out of Orange County, California. Even that amount of information required looking in more than one place.

I find that surprising because Harbors is one of the first bands I have reviewed that uses a Patreon. I am familiar with that option via various writers and bloggers. Often when people are asking for regular support in that manner, they are more personally open, and you are brought into this life that you are helping to support.

That made me wonder if gaining patrons would be harder with that sense of a wall standing there. There's not even an entry for the type of music. Genre classification is often inadequate, but it can still be helpful.

In fact, I am not sure how to describe the music. I suspect it would end up being classified as alternative, and that might not be particularly helpful. It's guitar-driven, with some keyboard accents. It is not acoustic, but an unplugged set shouldn't require too much adaptation. My favorite tracks were "Stranger" and "Glass Heart".






No comments: