Friday, August 26, 2016

Band Review: Rakunk


There is a really abrupt feeling to the start of "Trillionaire", like the song was started in progress.

That may be part of an overall band philosophy of sink or swim. There is no genre listed, nor any comment on their music on pertinent web pages. (I'll call it rock with a subtle funk influence, though the name had me expecting more punk.) They admit the names of who plays which instruments and that they are from Chicago, and that's it.

What stands out to me most is the sound of metal. I don't mean metal as a genre, but it feels like there are steel strings instead of nylon, and maybe some steel in the percussion. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it gives the music a sharpness and a resonance. Listen to the bridge on "Wicked Bible" for an example.

"Writing With A Knife" and "Banged Up" also stood out among the tracks. Overall a pretty solid offering from Rakunk.




No comments: